Sunday, June 2, 2002

South India Tour - Tiruvanthapuram

2 June – Thiruvanthapuram (Trivendrum) 

Got up early and took a bath and did a lot of laundry. Had a good breakfast of idli and vada. The first destination was Padmanabhaswamy Temple.  Before that temple a Ganesh temple came, it was very popular. We also stopped there and visited inside. It was a beautiful temple. Bhaiya and Papa did not go in. Then on to Padmanabhaswamy temple. It is a very pretty building from far away. I went in, as usual Papa and Bhaiya did not go in. A good reason for it was that they would have to change into dhoti. Even I had to put on a dhoti even though I was wearing a salwar. It’s just a scam to make money. It is after all one of richest temples in Kerala. The ambience inside the temple was very peaceful. The temple is of Vishnu lying down. To see the actual idol, one has to pay to get in (another scam). And then the pundit would not take my offering until I paid him! 

The sad part was there were different kinds of scams everywhere to make money. I also realized at this temple that I am always a little lost in temples – I don’t know what to do, what are the procedures etc…the temple was very peaceful though. 

Took the bus to Kovalam beach, about 30 mins ride.  The coconut groves on the way to the beach were beautiful. And so was the beach! So beautiful. There were no people in bikinis or even playing. Most people were just playing around, fully clothed, including us! The beach was quite clean. The walk back to the bus was tough – too hot and humid. 

Typical Lunch
Got back and ate saapad at Amma’s Restaurant – really good food! There was not much else to do so we planned some more for the rest of the trip. Finally I was a little relaxed from all the traveling and the heat. Went back to Amma’s place for dinner. I just had dahi bara …light on the tummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment