Saturday, August 1, 2015

The Oregon Diaries - Day 5

Have a long drive ahead of me and I did not really sleep well. Don’t know if it was the temperature of the room or the darkness. In any case, got ready and wanted to check out but Ric was not around. So gave him a call and he asked me if I had tea. I had but he had made some masala tea that he wanted me to have. And I also wanted to buy some soap – it was great! The tea was good. He gave it to me in a cup. It was tough to take it in the car but it was worth it. I started driving at 8:30 am.

Finding Hwy 42 was not hard at all. The scenery changed to mountains and valleys as the road went more east into Oregon. Lovely drive. Did not have to stop for much…just once for coffee and rest room. Also picked up a sandwich from Subway for lunch. There will be no place to eat in the Crater Lake Park. Got on to Hwy 138. Beautiful highway. I am always amazed at how well these roads are maintained.  There was some construction going on, but even that was managed so systematically. This drive was lovely…there was a river flowing right by the highway and the mountains behind it…just gorgeous. But after drinking so much coffee I really needed to go….but there was no rest area on 138. Stopped at Diamond Lake to check out the view. Had to go also, although I hate those kinds of restrooms but what to do?

Diamond lake is also a crater lake but not as big the Crater Lake. It was beautiful. The Crater lake is only about 15 miles now. I am excited to get there. It is about 12:30 pm now. Paid the $15 to enter the park and drove in. It was all very hilly. There were valleys and the look of it was very different. Later I realized it was because of volcanic soil. It looked like the parks I had seen in Hawaii.  The first stop of the Crater Lake was mind blowing! I did not expect it to be so blue and so beautiful. 


Spent some time there and then drove the rim drive. It took me more than 4 hours to do the 33 miles. I stopped at almost all the stops and took pictures. There were no major hikes. The boat ride was booked out for the day. So all I had to do was drive.
 

Had my lunch at one of the scenic stops. So nice to have this view! I will never forget it.
Saw one water fall from the rim drive. Almost missed one hike – it was for the wild flowers, about 1 km long. Did the hike as I love wild flowers. It started as a blah, but slowly became more and more pretty. Eventually it was so beautiful that I would have made my home there. There was a little stream flowing through and the sound of it was soooo soothing. (Turn on your speakers and listen to the sound below - for best effect, close your eyes). I am glad I did this hike. 

Soon it started raining also. As I was driving and looking out at the mountains, it seemed there was fire in the forests there. Oh no! it was quite spread out. Hopefully they can get it under control soon.

A little after 5 pm and now I am exhausted. All the driving, getting in and out, just now hit me. Now all I want is a bed! It was still going to be about a 2 hr drive to Bend. A lot of it, as since morning, was a two lane highway. It can be trying but I was in no hurry so there were no major issues. The scenery was okay – the road was amazingly smooth and good. Got to Econo Lodge after 7 pm. I was dead tired now. Got my room, brought in my luggage, took a shower and that’s it! I am not capable to doing anything else but write and watch TV. 

Tomorrow is also another driving day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment