Tuesday, August 4, 2015

The Oregon Diaries - Day 8

Have to drive to The Dalles (pronounced daals) today. Its about 4 hrs drive and I have to take one stop in the middle to see one water fall (Tygh River water fall). So got up late and packed my suitcase. Everything fit! Of course!   

Left around 10 am. The drive was straight up 97 and then 197. As 97 changed to 197, I stopped at McDonalds for lemonade and fries – perfect combo! It was a beautiful day outside so sat outside and ate. Lovely. I will miss this weather. As soon as I got on 197, the scenery took a 180 turn. Gone were the trees and greenery. It was rolling hills in a very strange rolling pattern and short shrub like trees everywhere. And the very common green/yellow shrub I have been seeing everywhere.  This looks very much like a volcanic area – which has been formed not too long ago since the vegetation is so less. Hwy 197 is even more desolate than some of the other highways I have been driving on.

There were snow peak covered mountains coming one after another. I kept thinking each one was Mt. Hood, but they kept coming…so no they were not. The drive was really beautiful, the valleys, the hills and the far away snow covered mountains…and the hills were either yellow or green (farming). Just gorgeous.

Took the Tygh White Water River exit. I did not even see any river, but by the time I reached the park, I could hear the river. It was a lovely park, so many youngsters were there having fun. The restrooms had plumbing!! I knew there was a little bit of a steep walk down (thanks to Google!), so took some water and walked down. It was 2 pm and was bloody hot! I got half way (as someone coming up mentioned that it might be enough). Going down is never a problem, its coming back up. And darn the water falls – they are not all like Niagara falls that you can walk to. Most are either up or down!

The river did not have much water in it, but still the falls were quite amazing. There were two parts to it, one cannot see both at any given time. I could see one from the top, the other part I had to walk down to. The river was muddy. The water fall did not quite look like I saw on Google pictures, so I knew that there was less water in the river or they would have been even more amazing.

The entire walk and look took about 30 mins. I was back on the road again. Wanted to go east for a little more scenic drive, but just did not have much energy. It was about 3 pm and decided to check into my hotel – the Oregon Motel. The owner turned out to be a Gujrati (my second Indian or 2.5 Indian if I count the Itty Bitty Inn owner). The room is very comfortable. On looking for things to do, besides driving, there is zipling – but that is 40 mins drive. Not doing it; and besides the last tour is at 5 and it lasts about 2 hours. I will be exhausted by the time I come back. I have another long day tomorrow, so just want to stay chilled today.

So then the other option is to do some local stuff. So decided to go to the Museum, which yet again was not a straight forward route. 

The museum was myeh – just okay. Oregon does have a lot of interesting history. I admire how tenacious people were in moving here from the east. The whole wagon thing is amazing. Really shows the adventurous spirit and determination of people back then. Or maybe they had no choice but to move. Now Oregon is thriving on lumbar, fish, cherries, wheat and not to forget tourism. There is so much outdoor activities to do here. At least in summer time, it would be criminal to stay at home. There was a little pathway around the museum, walked on it for a while. It was nice.

Next stop was the Sunshine Mill Winery. It seemed they had some interesting interior, so I decided to go. It is a really old building and they make their wine there. No tours were given, but tasting was on. So I thought why not? They had 5 wines for $7, and then you would also get one little copa to take (a little cup wine thingy).  The lady was pouring quite a lot of wine, so by the time I had my 5th one, I was a little woozy! And then she mentioned that white wines have little more alcohol content than red ones, and I like white better than red. I took some pictures, took my copa and came back to the motel. I was really feeling the kick of the wine by then!

On the way back from the museum, I noticed the Thai place next to the hotel. At about 7:30 pm I went there to get something to eat. Ordered some vegetable soup and vegetable rolls (the rice paper ones). Brought them back to the motel to eat later. Both were awesome! Best $10 spent. 

That’s it for the day. Am very tired and am just waiting to go back to Florida now.

No comments:

Post a Comment