Wednesday, August 5, 2015

The Oregon Diaries - Day 9

Last day in Oregon. Today is the day to see all the falls! It’s a 30 mile distance so should not take long to do. Left The Dalles around 9:00 am. No breakfast – only one banana. This motel was just so so. The flush was not that great, shower was too small and did not drain. Coffee was there but the quality was hopeless.  I guess I got what I paid for….

The drive towards west was confusing. Even though I know I have to go on Hwy 30, it was really confusing as it merged into I-84 once in a while and goes into Business 30 in some places. Ugh! I will not miss these stupid road confusions of Oregon.

Finally found the Hwy 30 I want to be on – it is also marked as the Historical Hwy. Very interesting highway. It is like the Hana drive of Hawaii; very curvy and narrow with stops all along the way for waterfalls. The waterfalls in Hana drive were small, however these ones were all something else!

Horsetail Waterfalls
I was going east to west (most people go west to east as they are coming from Portland).  So the first water fall I saw was Horsetail. Really tall falling like a thin tail. It was right on the road. Perfect. Very nice falls. 

Got on the road for the next one – Oneonta Falls. This one was first through a tunnel (which was also historical). I could not see the falls anywhere so started walking back, when a lady with two little kids came and mentioned that the falls are a little bit of hike. So I followed her. The hike was interesting. It was all a dry river bed. Walking through it, itself was an adventure. And then came the huge boulder, which I also managed, but I could not manage the next one on my own. It was a huge pile of dead tree trunks. There was no way I could have crossed that without any assistance. Even getting back on the huge boulder was not possible without this one guy helping me out.  Either that is supposed to be part of the adventure or maybe the people managing that area should really make a path. Disappointed, I came back.

What to do? Traveling alone does have its drawbacks.

The next falls was the most advertised one, the Multnomah Falls. The picture of these falls are everywhere! They had developed these falls a lot. There was a gift shop, restaurant, rest room, coffee and what not. Anyway… I went to see the falls first. Beautiful falls – and really high! I would say easily 10-12 stories high. The main problem was the sun - it was right where the waterfalls were starting so it was really hard to take a good picture of the entire falls.
 
There was a trek going up to see where the falls start from. Thought about doing that trek as it would be nice to see it. Talked to some people on the way and it seemed it was going to be uphill trek (normal, because the falls are falling from high up!). At one point I gave up, then a lady convinced me to keep going otherwise later I might feel that I should have gone. Well okay…so I kept going. Saw old people coming down and children going up, so I thought, sure I can do it too. But after going on for so long, a sign finally said, 0.8 mi trek. Ugh! I cannot do so much, especially with my back aching the way it was. I asked some people what was up and they showed me photos. And I changed my mind. It was only a stream. One cannot even see the falls falling because they are falling at an angle and there is no proper angle to see them. What a waste of time and energy! I came down. Of course coming down was way faster than going up.

Was so exhausted that I really regretted making the trek. Had soup and salad at the Multnomah restaurant. I had the prime seat. Right where I could see the falls! Beautiful. I was looking around envying all the people with families, but later realized, most adults were not talking to each other. If there were kids, they would talk to kids but otherwise they were all busy on their phones or just not talking. How sad. Here I am, dying to talk to someone, and they have someone yet they are not talking. Life is so unfair.

Went to the gift shop and bought myself a magnet. That is what I have been doing. I don’t know what other keepsake to buy.

It’s about 1:30 pm now. Got back on the road to the next waterfall – Wahkeena Falls. This seemed to be the least popular falls. The trek was not bad at all, the falls were quite pretty. There was only one other group there who left when I got there, so I was the only one. It was so easily accessible. One could go under the falls also.
Wahkeena Waterfalls
The next fall was Bridal Veil Falls. This was a little bit of a trek 0.6 mi one way. Up and down I went, but the falls are visible only from the very end of the trail. And what beautiful falls. I say that for all, but the truth is – I love waterfalls. To me they represent motion and beauty. There were many people here. Nice! Back at the parking lot was another trail going to see the overlook. Went on it – nice overlook – although later I got some better overlooks. I could have skipped this one.

Bridal Veil Waterfall

On to the Shepperds Dell Falls. Not very far from the road. A short upward hike led to the falls. This was divided into two falls like Multnomah Falls. One tall one and then flat and then again. There was a trail going up to the starting point – but no – this time, I cannot do it!
Sheppards Dell Waterfalls
The last water fall was Latourell Falls. I think this was the best! And the tallest. A little hike took me to the falls. Just so gorgeous and completely uninterrupted view! Too good.  The nicest part about all these water falls is that they are all fresh water, and they are easily accessible and there is no one preventing you (except your common sense) to bath in these falls. Some people were coming in with bathing suits while some were playing around. Fun!
Latourell Waterfalls
Then it was the Crowne Point Vista House – a viewing point. but apparently it used to be a resting point for travelers at one point. I was driving on a nice road so could not tell, but when I looked off the viewing point, we are hundreds of feet above the Columbia River. The view is amazing!

Next I had to decide whether to do the 14 mi drive up to a viewing point from which one can see 5 mountain peaks. Well…since I don’t have to walk, I can drive 14 mi. It was around 4 pm now. It was now or never. So I did it. The drive up was just a little stressful, very curvy and narrow – but pretty drive. There was not too much traffic, so had to be careful. Just when I was on a curve, a car would come from the other side.

Got up there in about 25 mins. Then did not know where to go for the view. Walked on the one single trail there. But then it spilt and there were no indications as to where I should go. I climbed one side (plenty of stairs), but then there were 3 splits. Came back. Luckily ran into a guy who was also going and he guided me to the right path. It was straight ahead (The Sheppard Point). And there were stairs!! Oh Lord! Why does it have to be stairs? Went up the stairs. I was not going to turn back now. And so good I did not. The view up there was amazing. There were very few die hards to come to this place so it was not crowded at all. Starting from the left was, Mt. Helens (a flat top mountain, as it lost a lot of its top during the last volcano), Mt. Rainier (not quite visible), Mt. Adams – perfectly visible as a beautiful peak, then Mt. Hood (oh what a sight!! It was front and center of all the peaks) and finally Mt. Jefferson (this was hidden behind some mountains, so only the peak was visible).


Admired the view for a while and then came down the stairs and drove down also. 5:30 pm. Have to keep track of time, as I have to return the car also today. One last stop at the Women’s Forum Overlook. Lovely view of the Columbia River and also the Crown Point. Did not spend too much time there.

Now it’s time to head back to Portland. Not looking forward to the crazy traffic and roads, but it has to be done. Did get lost going to Ramada, but finally made it after calling them for directions. Checked in (why don’t these hotels put in some elevators! Carrying a suitcase even one flight of stairs is trying when one is tired). 

Went to return the car. Was a little worried about leaving it on the road, but what to do – no choice. Walked across the huge Burnside Bridge to get to the Skidmore station to get the red Max train. I was remembering 9 days ago, when I made exactly the same trek on the first day of touring. How different that was! The train took about 50 mins to get to the airport. Called Ramada to send the shuttle to pick me up. Luckily there was one more person. Didn’t feel so guilty about just a pick up.

Got to the hotel and just wanted to crash! But there is no rest. Had to clean out my stuff and make sure everything was packed as I have to get up at 4:15 am – and I will not be packing then. Sleep was not easy to come as the stupid AC kept coming on and off and made a great noise when it was on. It was always one noise or another. Must have slept though!

Got up a couple times at night, but finally woke at 3:30 am. Don’t know what it is with the internal body clock, always wakes up before the alarm (for most part). Had send text to Bhaiya to wake me up at 4:15 am and he did call!

Then it was just about getting ready and taking the shuttle to the airport at 5 am. All went smooth. I am writing this now in Las Vegas airport as I have so much time to kill. And yesterday I was too exhausted to write. 

No comments:

Post a Comment