Monday, August 3, 2015

The Oregon Diaries - Day 7

I have my rafting today!! I have to be there by 9:45 am so I have some time in the morning. Got ready. 

Reached the Seventh Mountain Resort on the Cascade Scenic byway by 10:45 am. Paid $43 for the 1 hr rafting. Cannot take anything that can wet, so had to leave my camera behind. On second thoughts I could have taken my phone. Oh well. There were four rafts on the Deschutes River. A family of four, another single girl and I were on one of them. We had a good guide. The rafting itself was sometimes a little boring, during the lull periods. I guess one cannot have rapids all the time. The first one was fun, the second, The Little Eddie, was the super soaker! We all got completely wet. Fun fun fun! The third one was a baby one. And then it was over. Back at the store they were selling pictures for $30! Incredible. Daytime robbery. Of course I did not buy them. I will go rafting again sometime.

Then it was time to do the scenic byway. The first 30 miles or so was beautiful. I stopped at a couple lakes to enjoy the scenery. Yet again, the prices of coffee etc. were so high at these places that it was not worth it. Was on my last stop near the dam, when an elderly gentleman starting talking to me.  We chatted for about 20 mins. He told me to visit Pauliana lakes and go up the hill to a scenic look like the Crater Lake. I thought why not.

After finishing the byway, I found the exit for Pauliana lake, but it seems the lakes were too far. I was tired of driving so much. So I did not go. About 10 miles from my exit was the Lava Lands, but did not realize that it was coming and missed the exit. So had to turn around and come back about 10 miles round trip. It was a national park so $5 entry fee.  In the park was a caldera (which had a shuttle going up but stopped at 4 pm, I was there exactly at 4 pm!). Oh well I have seen a live volcano so this was not such a big deal. I can still see it tomorrow if I want to.

There was also the 1 mile long lava tube to explore and a falls at about 1 mile hike. The lave tube also closes at 4 pm, so all I could do was go to the water falls. It was 4 miles further inside the park. No problem. Finally found the parking for the water falls. There was a family coming in a van, I asked them about the falls and the man said they were also going the same way. Great! I tagged along with them. They were a good family, Chinese, I think. Parents and three young boys. One thing we did not anticipate in the walk was mosquitoes. Today I was a buffet for them during the entire hike! Ugh!! 

Deschutes River is a one of the main rivers here in central Oregon. That is what the trail was on. We kept following it and suddenly the river started going faster, we could hear it also. For about 0.5 km, the river was going through over stones and it was really fast flowing and then came the water falls – which was not really that big of a fall, but certainly pretty! There was soooo much water! Lovely. And then I saw people were actually parking near the water falls also. The direction were not that great. Anyway, the walk back was equally mosquito ridden. The lady, Han, was great to talk to. We chatted all the way back to our cars.
 
The falls on Deschute River
Made it to the hotel by 6 pm. I was feeling like a mess – my hair was still strange after the morning rafting, my feet all dusty from the hike and of course all the mosquito bites on my legs and arms – bumps and scratches everywhere. I still had to visit the Old Mill place, so took a shower, changed into something nice and drove out to Old Mill. Really nice little area. The Deschutes River flows right there; there were all the brand name shops and a movie theater and of course, restaurants. There I asked a lady to take my picture and we started chatting. We talked for over 30 mins. She seems to be a world traveler! Rose – amazing lady. She also came to visit southern Oregon for seven days. We talked about all our travels. It seemed to me that she was really well off. Oh well – lucky her.


After goodbyes, I walked a little bit more (I was dead tired of walking and driving!). There seemed to be a lot of fun stuff to do: rent a 3 wheeler bike and load up with people and go around. There were people paddling and tubing in the Deschutes River. And then there was the cycling-moving bar where about 12 people sit around a table which is all a big bike. All of them pedal and go around the city, drinking and enjoying! A different experience.  The walk itself was nice for me. I enjoy watching people. Although I know for myself I would love to have YKH with me….but such is life.

Went to Izzy’s to have my pizza buffer. This was a disappointment. It was expensive with not enough choices for pizza and then of course I got charged for drinks when I did not know they were not included in the $8.99 buffet. Too pricey. Will not recommend to anyone.

That’s it. That is my day! Too long, too tiring but everything was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment