Friday, July 19, 2019

Montana Drive - Day 2 - Bozeman


Got up at 7 am and was at breakfast by 8 am. Breakfast was a nice spread. Bread, bagels, boiled eggs etc. I left around 8:40 for my tour of Big Sky. I was on 191-W and then somehow I was on 84-S. I was supposed to keep on 191-S. What did I miss? In any case, it did not matter, I was doing a whole circle from 191 and returning 287 and then on 84, so now I will go the opposite way…my itinerary got turned around for one day!

Hwy 84 was amazing! So open, mountains everywhere, ranches with cows and horses all over. It was just scenic. The speed limit is 75 on this itty bitty road! It took me a while before I got used to the speed. And then came Madison River. Just wow! It was so beautiful! It was with the highway for a long time. Crossed a few towns but the memorable one is Ennis – it was a really cute western looking town. I took some pictures but I should have stopped and then taken pics. Oh well. 
There was a nice rest stop on the way, at a very scenic point. I still had phone service here. All just good so far. And then came the lake! The Earthquake Lake. It was beautiful blue water. the lake was created by an earthquake (so it is on a fault). All the mountains there were also rocky. I stopped where ever I could. As soon as I got on 191, it turned out to be part of Yellowstone. There was no ticket or anything. The scenery was just beautiful. Now I had Gallantin River by the road. Again I kept stopping and going.
Ousel Falls
And then came Big Sky. I stopped at the Visitor’s Center, mainly to use the restroom.  Drove a few miles into the town for the hike to Ousel Falls. The town is quite big with school, church and shopping etc. I think this is a big ski resort during winter. Summer was quite packed too. The hike to Ousel Falls was about 2 miles. It was a nice up and down hike, very pretty. If I had kept my program, I would have done it in the morning, when it was not that hot. Now it was 1 pm and just a little hot! But there was a breeze and it was quite okay. The falls were lovely, lots of water! Nano Niagara or maybe micro Niagara.

Then it was back to Bozeman. I found a nice spot in the way for lunch by the river. I was done with what I had planned for the day, so I decided to go to Hyalite Canyon near Bozeman. It was a small hwy off 19th St. Again by Gallantin river. Nice drive. Went up to the recreational area, which was a huge lake. After that was supposed to be the drive for Palisades Falls. I did not do that since it was gravel road and I was just not comfortable going on that road by myself. There were other cars also, but I did not want to risk it.

Drove back into town and went to the Museum of the Rockies around 4:30 pm. Was done with it by closing time of 6 pm. It was a nice museum, little over rated but it did have a lot of fossils. I am impressed by all these archaeologists and geologists who work on these things. It must be hard to put a puzzle like bones together. It was impressive. There were a lot of original fossils and some replica. And then there was the travelling exhibit on Chengez Khan. I just know him as the most cruel man. He was quite powerful and influential. Even after 1000 years we are talking about him. 

Went to Walmart to get water and some snacks. Today I was a little short on water on the way. Came back to the hotel for a cup of coffee. Then decided to look up more stuff to do and found a sculpture garden near the Bozeman library. It was just something to kill time. There was not much else to do. I had done deal of walking already so was not in the mood for any more hikes. Although I almost did with the sculpture garden. Travelocity’s map had one waterfall in the wrong location.

Am very tired today. I did in one day what I had planned for 2 days. I am getting the feeling it may happen again. I may have overestimated on the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment