Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Montana Drive - Day 6 - Glacier National Park 2


The big day! This is the highlight of my trip – driving the Going to the Sun Road. Of all the things I have read about it, I was a bit nervous, but knowing that there are Red Bus tours and park shuttles gave me some hope that I could drive this mountainous road. I got up and was out of the hotel by 6:45 am. I keep thinking I am smart, but I forget everyone is smart too. I wanted to get into the park before 8 am – well so did everyone else. The drive was as miserable – Hwy 49-N was not bad, although lots of curves and switchbacks and on top of that some ranchers' cows were grazing freely on the road. I was the only one on the road for miles and speed limit was 35 mph, so I could brake easily. First I thought I had seen a black bear, but then it turned out to be cows. Hwy 89 was miserable again with the gravel road. And the horses were still there! 

Came through the St Mary’s entrance by 7:50 am. The visitor center will open at 8 but restrooms were open, so of course, I had to make a quick stop. The drive from there on was just one beautiful stop after another.  It was still good to come even at 8 am – as there were not that many people there. all the pull outs were open with parking available. And I stopped at all of them! I had to take pics of every mountain, lake, river, stream, waterfall or flower I could see. Some of the spots were just magical! 
The Jackson glacier overlook was nice. The Siyen Bend was beautiful – lovely stream with flowers all along. People were hiking along the shores. 
Then came Lunch Creek and it just took my breath away. I thought I was in some magical land. The stream was flowing from the top of the mountain and it had flowers on both sides of its shores – the white ones. I wanted to spend more time there, but no time would be enough there. it was just too pretty! After this point the ascend started for Logan’s Pass. It wasn’t too bad. 
Logan’s Pass parking lot was full even at 9 am! So I did not waste time there and decided to keep going so at least I see the park in good time and then I can come back using the shuttle. The drive from Logan’s Pass to the tunnel was a little bit of a nail biter. I was on the mountain side (as I had read going East to West is easier as that is mountain side). But the mountain was a little too close and the other drivers were trying to get across the median since they were driving on the edge. I focused on my driving, while also looking at the views. I was still able to make some stops to take pics. There was not much traffic. Also this part of the road was all downhill.  After the tunnel MacDonald stream came into view. Oh what a view! The stream was calm for a while, but then it hit rocks and slope and turned into a happy stream and in a few places waterfalls. I stopped at a few key points to take pictures. Really pretty! By this time the Sun Road was flat with speed limit to 45 mph. 

I got into the MacDonald Lodge and luckily found a parking spot just opposite the shuttle stop. (I realized later how lucky I was – parking was going almost to half a mile). The shuttle would take us to Avalanche Creek, from where we would switch into a smaller van for Logan’s Pass. The first shuttle driver did not let me in – could have! And then I had to wait another 30 mins for the next one. And then I saw an American couple do something I have never seen Americans do – cut line to get ahead. The drive to Avalanche Creek was about 15 mins. I got the shuttle almost immediately for Logan Pass. I am glad to have taken the shuttle, I just sat back and enjoyed the views, took photos. The drive takes over 30 mins – it is all uphill. 

Logan Pass was still full. It was super crowded. There were some really scenic views around. If it hadn’t been 1 pm and bloody hot, and if I had company, I would have done the 3 mile round trip hike to see the hidden lake. But when I saw the photo of it in the gift shop, I thought, seen one mountain lake, just about seen them all. Unless there is a difference in color or mountains. I don’t think I missed much. I bought myself an insulated mug. So far I have bought only one magnet for myself. This mug will get used. 

I took pictures to my fullest and then took the shuttle down to Avalanche Creek. The driver this time was quiet for a bit but then we started chatting. It was me and her in the shuttle. Even though she was driving slowly, I did not realize that we were at the Creek. (Theory of Relativity!!). 
I got the next shuttle to the Lodge and got back on the Sun Road. I still had about 12-15 miles to go. Luckily there was not much in spectacular views from then on. Lake MacDonald was pretty, surrounded by mountains, and very clear. It is about 220 ft deep! I did stop at a couple places to make sure I did not miss anything. Last stop was Apgar Visitor center. I had to use the restroom, fill my water bottle and see what this was about. There was not much inside, so left quickly. 

Exited the park and got to Hungry Horse where there was a wonderful place to eat. Well, they had a bunch of huckleberry products, so I thought of stopping there and getting something for Bhaiya. I decided to have lunch also there (yes at 4 pm). I had a huge salad and huckleberry pie. I did not care much for the pie.  It was kind of like blueberry. I found some jelly for Bhaiya.  The next stop was the Vortex place but it was closed even though it said open on the street. Oh well. 

Now it is time to go the hotel, Sunrise Vista Inn. Again, a nice small hotel with only 5-6 rooms. It is right on the lake! It is very pretty place. The room is big and comfortable. But like the other hotel – Singing Swan – there are no toiletries. So glad I have my own. But they do have coffee maker in the room! So first things first – coffee. It wasn’t really good, but I needed caffeine and something warm. 

The manager, Greg, is very talkative. He gave me some good ideas about tomorrow. He invited me to a place that plays Trivia. But I am so tired I could not learn anything at this time. And then it started raining a bit. I came in and went out later to the lake to just sit there, but then again drops of water from above. now it is just time to rest. I am exhausted. Luckily there is not much to do tomorrow but drive to Spokane.

No comments:

Post a Comment