Monday, July 22, 2019

Montana Drive - Day 5 - Glacier National Park 1


Left Helena around 8:30 after a heavy breakfast of pancakes. I-15-N was okay. I managed to see the Madonna on the hill. Nothing spectacular – just a white statue over the mountain. Then I took 287 N. these highways are two lane yet their speed limits are 70-80 mph. But then there is no one on the roads either. The drive was so pretty that was not bored driving. Although one has to pay attention a lot to road since there are trucks going in and out and the road will curve a lot! Usually I will see a car every 3-4 minutes. 

Getting to Browning was fine. Browning is a small town with not much going on. I had to stop at a gas station to get gas and use the restroom. After this I will be in the National Glacier Park. 

The drive on 89-N was getting prettier with the mountains. Most of the road was okay and then we hit gravel! For about 10 miles on and off there was construction going on and there were many portions of gravel road. Everyone was going so I also went – definitely not my first choice, but there was no other way. And on top of that there were 5 horses running around the road! Don’t know if they belonged to anyone. Soon I could see lower St Mary Lake. There was a beautiful pull out on the road and parked for a while. I needed a little stretch too after all the hectic driving. 
I can now imagine what the field of flowers in India would look like. This mountain area was covered with flowers. All colors, yellow, purple, white, red etc. It was just so wonderful to look at this amazing nature. And in the background were mountains and the lake. So scenic. And the flowers were aromatic. I just stood there and smelled the fragrant air.

Got back on 89 and then went on to Route 3 for the Many Glaciers entrance. Oh what a horrible road! It had so many pot holes! Had to really watch out. Park entry seemed to be restricted to hotel guests and anyone who had a boat reservations, which I did. Although the lady did not really check my ticket. Apparently the parking lot was full and they could not let many people in. When I drove in to the hotel, I could see why. There was not much else to do there. the parking lot was big and full. I got lucky as someone was pulling out just as I came in. it was about 1:30 pm. I had some time before my 4:30 pm boat ride. 

I went in to see the hotel and gift shop, confirmed my reservation at the boat tours. Took pictures. Many Glaciers hotel and lake are just too scenic. I don’t want to keep writing scenic but really everything about this park is beautiful. 
Many Glacier Lake
I walked back to see the falls I had seen on my way in. they were kind of small but the best part was that I got to see a huge brown bear! My day is made!! He was just strolling in the water and then went into the bushes just below where there were hiking trails. Lord help the trekkers. At about 2:30 pm I was on my way back when I thought about seeing if they can let me do the 3 pm boat ride if there is room. Apparently I am not the smartest one! There were 7 names ahead of me! But luckily there was room for me. (and there was still space for 3 more people). 

The boat ride started us from Many Glacier Lake and then we would hike about 0.75 mi to the other side and take the boat ride on Lake Josephine. It was all very nice and pleasant. The views were amazing. The lakes were so clear. I saw a number of waterfalls, some really thin streams of water while some were substantial. There are no glaciers here as they have all melted. The hike was also pretty. Again, so many flowers! Just beautiful. 
Lake Josephine
We came back by 4:15pm. This really worked out perfectly for me, since I had not expected gravel road on 89 so I knew I had to drive back on it and it would take me more time. One of the roads was not marked well, so I ended up taking 89 back to Browning and then took 2 to get to the East Glacier Village. Google was showing it to be faster but I thought the other one would be shorted. (I don’t think it mattered in the end). I got there by around 6 pm. It should have taken less but darn the construction. All the way I was thinking that I could skip my boat ride from Two Medicine Lake and just go to the park early because it would take me so long to even get there. The horses were still there on 89!

Ultimately I was right. Mark, the hotel owner also suggested going to the park early. One boat ride is the same as the next. And I had enough time that evening to visit the Two Medicine Lake area, which is about 15 mi from East Glacier Village. So without unpacking, I left right away. The drive was okay. Finally I was on 49 – the hwy I should have taken instead of going to Browning. Anyways….the lake area was pretty. One mountain lake is almost the same as the next after I have seen a few. Again the flowers were really pretty! I always get distracted by them. 
Two Medicine Lake
Drove back and checked into my room. It was small and with a really small bathroom. There was a TV which I never turned. Today I had mathri for dinner. I planned out my next day using the map the Park officials had given me. Mark also suggested to not worry about getting parking at Logan Pass, just drive on and take the shuttle. That gave me a good relief just in case I was not able to see all the sights also.

I was super tired today. there had been a short break of the boat ride, but otherwise I had not eaten proper lunch or dinner and had driven all day on mountain roads. And I know part of the way for tomorrow will still be gravel road, so I needed my rest. 

I slept quite well!

No comments:

Post a Comment