Sunday, July 21, 2019

Montana Drive - Day 4 - Helene Excursion


I had to get up early today so I could visit the Helena Church. I thought the first mass was at 8:30 but it was at 7:30 am, so I got ready and got to the church by 7 am. Helena is so small that everything is just 5 mins away. The church is a Catholic church – about 100 years old. Really pretty with all marble columns and stain glass work (from Munich). Almost all work is original. I sat there for a while till before the mass started and then left. 

Went for breakfast at the restaurant in the hotel compound. I had a choice of 4 things from the menu. I had eggs and hash brown. Coffee was terrible and they gave only one slice of toast. Oh well…it’s okay. 

Came back to my room and slept for a bit since I had trouble sleeping at night. Drove to the Sculpture in the Wild around 10:30 am. It was a nice drive on 289-N and then 200-W. I had to pass the Flesher Pass, which is a mountainous drive of up to 6500 ft height. It was a little hard but got okay after a while.  The sculpture park was outside of Lincoln, in the middle of nowhere. It was a nice park. I was surprised to see other people there. it was a nice walk around admiring the sculptures. A lot of them were made out of natural materials, wood, logs, sticks etc. it took about an hour to see everything. 

There was only a portable restroom there, which I just cannot use. So I went out of the park to find another place and then came back to have my lunch. It was really nice to just sit there in the forest and enjoy my puris. Then it was time to drive back. For some reason, the drive back did not feel long or even scary. I stopped at a couple spots to take pictures. 
Flesher Pass
Got back to Helena around 3 pm. Went to the shopping area on Montana Ave to find a jacket. Found me a Ross store and a jacket from there. went to Target to see if they had any jackets, but no. I will never understand Target clothes. I did buy me a steel bottle from there. My water is getting warm in the car. I was in my hotel by 4:30 pm.  I belated noted that the Capitol building closed at 3 pm on Sundays. I should have seen this before! oh well, I will go later to at least visit from the outside. 
Montana Capitol Building
Planned my way for tomorrow. Downloaded some maps, although my cell phone coverage has been quite reliable so far. As much as I am ready for my drive, I feel that the roads here are really not marked well in some cases and I feel that I may be on the wrong highway – although it has happened only once, but still.

All in all another good day! I am looking forward to the park trip for the next two days.

No comments:

Post a Comment