Friday, July 26, 2019

Montana Drive - Day 8 - Spokane


Started late this morning, nothing much on the agenda. Went for breakfast at the Incrediburger place next door. Had a bowl of potatoes, eggs with toast. Really tasty bread. Came back and had tea at the hotel and then laid down for a while.

Reflection Pool
Left around 10 am for Manito garden. It was easy to find. It was a pretty start to the garden by the pond. I walked around a bit and thought – is this it? Then I walked towards the Lilac garden, which really wasn’t much, probably because nothing was in bloom. I knew from the Google map that there is a Japanese garden, so I kept walking. I did find it. It was a tiny garden made because Spokane’s sister city is in Japan. There was an American family that was so noisy in there. Japanese gardens are places of peace and quiet. In any case, moved on….time to go to the conservatory. 

Roses!
Before I got to the conservatory, I saw the Rose garden. Oh my God!! That was not even on the Google map. The Rose garden was smelling well, like roses! The flowers were really blooming. All colors! It was not a huge garden but still good size. It was arranged very well and really beautiful. I spent a lot of time there. It was getting a little hot and of course it was sunny, no clouds at all. 

From the rose garden, I saw the next garden, the Perennial garden. It looked even prettier. After I finished the rose garden, I crossed the road for the Perennial garden. I was really missing my water bottle. I had not realized there was so much more in this garden. Google did not do justice or I did not read it carefully. The perennials were just beautiful. The landscaping itself was just beautiful. The colors, the flowers and blooms, it was all just too good. I made my way around the garden slowly. I wanted to soak it all in. Then it was time to go to the Conservatory. 
Perennial Garden
But before I could go in there, I saw the Duncan garden and it just blew me away. It looked like a European garden, arranged in geometric fashion. Just gorgeous. The flowers were super colorful, all dahlias, marigolds, and so many other bright colored flowers. It was just gorgeous. And there was a fountain in the center. I walked all around, it was too hot otherwise I would have stayed longer and absorbed it all. 
Duncan Gardens
Now finally the conservatory. There were two sections in it, one part was dry desert part, cacti and succulents and the other was tropical, all bromeliads, orchids etc. Very much like Florida! Both sections were small but they were designed really beautifully.
Cacti in the Conservatory
All in all the garden was just a pleasure for the eyes…too good, I had not expected all this. I spend over 2 hrs here. I walked back to my car and went to see St. John’s church. It was okay, nothing spectacular but still nice. Now at 1:30 pm it was time for lunch. Thought about going to Subway, but saw a local burrito place and decided to get a burrito. Came back to the hotel and ate, it was a good burrito. She did not put enough hot sauce. 

The heat had gotten to me, so I decided to stay in for the afternoon. I don’t really have much to do today anyway. Around 6 pm, I want to the Riverfront again to see the toy store and see the Spokane falls. the toy store was closed. I walked all the stairs down to see the falls. it was worth it. I just love waterfalls! And this one is really powerful, they use it to generate electricity. 
Spokane Falls
And that was my day. I am done with Spokane and ready to hit the road tomorrow for Butte. Will need to start early in order to see all that I want to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment