Monday, September 16, 2024

Norway Fjords/Sweden - Day 1 - Oslo 1

Now it is time to get to the city. Walked out from the airport to the train station Flytoget, which is in the airport itself, to come to city center. The ride was smooth and perfectly on time. Meanwhile I was on chat with Silvia and she told me that the hotel will let me check in earlier than their 3 pm time. Very nice! 

I took my time in the Central Station of Oslo. It is a shopping mall as well. Lots of coffee and pastry shops. I went to the visitor's center to make sure my program for my time there was good and to buy the Oslo 24 hr pass. All good!

The rain was very light and the hotel (Comfort Karl Johan) was barely 5 min walk from the station so I walked. I was able to check in, but the lights in the room are not functioning properly, so had to go down and get another room. It is farther away from the elevator but its bigger than what I had. Its a nice room.

Took a shower, took a little nap and had my puri lunch in the room. I was ready to walk out at 3 pm. The weather had cleared up and it was sunny outside. Todays plan is to go to the Cathedral, walk along the Akerselva River, up to Nedre Foss (a waterfall) and through Grunerlokka - a supposedly busy city area and then walk back to hotel. Things did not go as planned....when do they ever?

The cathedral was going to open after 4 pm, so walked to the river. I had washed my socks so I did not have any, so the first thing I bought was socks! They are really nice bamboo socks -3 pairs for about 10$. 

Walked by the Street Food of Oslo building. I thought it was going to be an outdoor area, but it was an outdoor seating and a whole building with indoor eating and sitting area. It was a huge food court of all ethnic foods. Really interesting. Maybe I will eat here on my next stopover in Oslo. The food was a bit pricy though. 

The walk to and along the river was nice, the water fall was also nice, lots of water falling with a lot of speed. The Grunerlokka area was not as cool as I was thinking. There were a lot of shops and eating places - nothing unique. Maybe it is more active in summer time. The cathedral did not open even after 4 pm, so that was that. 

Waterfall and Grunerlokka

I kept walking towards the Central Station. There was this shop, Normal, which looked interesting and I went in. Oh - what an interesting shop. It takes you through a lot of beauty products in snake like manner ending with travel needs, snacks etc. So much interesting stuff! I got myself a hand lotion, which in hindsight I really needed.

I walked to the harbor past the station. All the buildings and garden areas are really nice and pretty. I walked on the opposite side of the opera house to take some nice pictures. 

Central Station
Opera House and Munch

Eventually I went to the Opera House to walk up the slope to the top and waited for sunset. The colors were not that great, but it was still nice. I went back to the hotel after this...it is close to 7:30 pm and I have walked a lot today! 

No comments:

Post a Comment