Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Norway Fjords/Sweden - Day 9 - Bergen 4

It is time to pack up and check out day. Got ready and had breakfast (same old stuff) and checked out by 9:15 am. Had to store my luggage till evening. The hotel gave me a key for a room on 2nd floor (breakfast room) and I went up there. Mine was the only luggage - hehe.

My boat tour to Mostraumen was at 10 am. They boarded at 9:40ish. Of course I got the window seat. A Spanish family came to sit on my table. The seating was a table with 3 chairs on either side like a booth. Very comfortable. I did not even realize there was an outside area until later. Anyway, the boat departed on time and all scenery from start to finish was beautiful. After about 20-25 mins, the city was left behind and the hills got more wild. There were very few houses - again I am amazed how Norwegians live in so much isolation. The scenery got even better, now the fjords were appearing, high mountains on both sides of the boat and some narrow passageways to get through. I am sure it looks fabulous from the air. On the ground its beautiful but aerially will be best. Saw some waterfalls also. Reached the end of the one way journey and turned around. Except for a few spots where the captain slowed down, coming back was much faster. 


We were back around 1:30 pm. I still had until 4 pm to walk around. Went to the tourist shops again. Saw the Christmas shop. Quite cute, but America has bigger and better ones. One of these days I will have to visit some European country during Christmas. Walked around till 2 pm. Found a Thai place to eat lunch. Their lunch portions were small - just enough, but price was still higher. But what to do in a touristy place. Got them to make a fried rice lunch dish for me to take for tomorrow, as I don't have meals on the boat.

Came back to the hotel and sat until 4 pm. Collected my luggage and walked to the ship. It was about 1 km walk which went by quite fast since the I was enjoying the buildings. 

I checked in at the Hurtigruten terminal and got my cabin (218). We were asked to wait in the lounge where they had some coffee and pastries (always sweet stuff, never any namkeen!). After about 25 mins, we were told to come to conference room for a safety talk. That lasted about 15 mins and then we could board. It was 5 pm, but we could not check in to our rooms until 6 pm. So got on the ship and waited. Then my key did not work, so had to get that changed; my little windows were shut, so got them opened. Now I am good! 

Now with my stuff all in, I can go and explore the ship. It's not a huge ship, quite small actually. Three restaurants and a buffet place and one or two conference rooms. They do have a hot tub, sauna and fitness room. Its a nice ship. But the food items are seriously all non veg. I was thinking of taking this cruise for 11 days, go all up to Tromso and down to Trondheim to come back to Oslo. I could have done it. Of course, my cost would have doubled and also the time. Well...another time. I will see one day of the Norway coastline. 

There was an information session at 7:30 pm. Quite informative, but more for people with 11 days trip. I will be off this ship on Thursday morning. Tomorrow I can go for two coastal trips on my own. 

Then it was time for the ship to leave the dock. Oh...time to say bye to Bergen. It was a nice city. I think I like it better than Oslo. The lights are on now and its pretty sight. I sit down and eat some nuts when this old couple is debating whether to sit on my table. I asked them to join me. They are a 75-72 year old couple from Netherlands. Very nice. Talked to them for 20 mins and then left. I am done for the day. 

It's been a nice day. Looking forward to tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment