Wednesday, September 18, 2024

Norway Fjords/Sweden - Day 3 - Oslo 3

Today is my last full day in Oslo until I come back on 29 Sept. I did not sleep well again last night, up for about 2 hrs from 12-2am. Don't know what's going on but today I will not rest at all in the daytime and hopefully I can sleep tonight. 

Set the alarm today for 8 am. I have to reach by 10:30 am for my Oslofjord cruise at 11am, so I can have breakfast and take a quick nap to compensate for the lost sleep at night.

Breakfast was exactly the same as yesterday. So maybe it will be the same tomorrow. The breads are interesting, but all other things are quite boring. And the other part is I have only a limited appetite. I see other people going over and over and getting more stuff. 

Left around 10:10 to get the tram for Aker Brygge (number 12). I don't think my Oslo card worked today on the tram. Maybe its done with...but how does it know? I have to buy a ticket later. The cruise entry was a little confusing. There was another Indian family there looking for the same cruise. The "father" went and found out where to go, so good, or I would have been running around to find it. The wife, Priti, is my age. They have one son. Smart - a doctor, but the personality of a door mat. He did not feel like he wanted to be there. Anyway, spent a lot of time talking to them - nice couple from New Jersey. I may go and visit them as per her invite.

The cruise was okay. Nothing spectacular, I was expecting some high mountains, but there were none. There were many inhabited islands and one fjord (narrow passageway). The scenery was nice and weather was just perfect - sunny and cool. Came back by 1 pm. I would not recommend this cruise if anyone is expecting the classic scenic Norway fjords.

I need to get to the Frogner/Vigeland Park but my bus pass was not working this morning so I need another one. Soooo found out that you can get them only at certain locations: Narvesen, 7-Eleven, Deli De Luca and Mix. 24 hr valid ticket is 140 NOK which can be used on all buses, trams, ferries and local trains. Well...I was not going to use it a whole lot but I guess it gives me a little more freedom. I think this will be better for me the next time I am in Oslo. 

National Theater
I was near the National Theater station and got on #13 blue tram, to get to central and then change buses, but saw some buildings so got off in the middle, which turned out good because I was able to get on the #12 blue tram which goes to the park. The city is pretty, there were a bunch of nice buildings on the way. I got to the park around 2:15 pm. Had to use the restroom, which was twice that in the train station (10NOK). Oh well..when you have to go, you have to go. I decided to have my puri lunch before starting on my trek. 


The park is primarily the work of one sculpturer, Vigeland. All the statues are naked and in some emotional posture. The statues all depict various moods and family life. It is really good despite that all sculptures are naked. Not only that, there were many many flowers along the way. The roses smelled amazing! It was really beautiful. I am so glad I went there today rather than on the my 2nd trip here. The day was sunny and temperature was perfect 70 F. Spent close to 2 hours there. Saw sooo many tourists here. 


Parliament House
Took the #12 blue tram (I am loving this tram!) to Ovre Slottsgate. I had took the tram from there also before. Anyway....the interesting thing that I saw before which is why I got off before, was the Parliament house. I did not realize there was so much going on there. Basically I was at Karl Johans Gate. I could have gotten out closer to the palace but I wanted to walk from the Gate and I am so glad I did. It was a busy road, no cars allowed. There are so many hotels and restaurants on this road. Then there is the Parliament House, the National Theater, University of Oslo and it ends at the Royal palace. I was walking the palace but there was so much to see in the middle that it took a while. But what a lovely walk, so many flowers, fountains, people playing music....just so lively. I have not seen life like this in many American cities.

Royal Palace
The Palace was closed for renovations but one can walk around the gardens, which was also not that much. I was ready to come home at 6 pm. Had a softy today! 5$ ...Came to the hotel and rested a bit, then went out again to get some junk food from Normal. Walked around the Central station to see where my train will be leaving from - could not find out. Came back to the hotel by 7:30 pm. Not much to do except write my thoughts of the day.

I think I will like to live in Oslo for a couple months. Things are expensive, but there is so much going on here.

The one thing that I found is missing here are drinking water fountains. I remember in Vienna, there was drinking water available everywhere, reminding people to hydrate. Here ... none! I have not been drinking that much water here sadly.

TIPS: Use the restrooms in the train stations, they are 10NOK. At the Vigeland park it was 20NOK. Buy the tickets ahead of time. Their time will start only when you first use them. Normal is a wonderful store with all sorts of personal items. Not cheap but still good.

No comments:

Post a Comment