Saturday, September 21, 2024

Norway Fjords/Sweden - Day 6 - Bergen 1

Not much to do in the morning as I have done all I could do in Flam. Got up around 8 am, looked outside and it was all cloudy, more than yesterday. Breakfast was the same, boring, bread and eggs. The pancake was not worth trying and the hash browns had a strange smell and were dry and hard. For such a big hotel their breakfast sure sucks, especially for vegetarians. Nothing much to do until 11 am when I have to check out. Outside is gloomy.

Went to the bus stand at 11am. The bus came at 11:35 am but was indicating the wrong destination. Had to ask the driver and she finally corrected it and made it to Voss. I had seen the bus yesterday so I knew it was the same number. Anyway, the bus ride was nice. There were so many tunnels but when we were out, it was really pretty. Huge mountains, mountain rivers and so many waterfalls. The scenery changed slowly to less mountains and and more farm area. Now there were lakes also. Its sunny but the clouds were still low and look really cool.

As we reached Voss around 1 pm, the driver said that the train to Bergen was cancelled and that we would have to take the bus standing next to ours to Bergen and it would leave in 10 mins. Well...no time to use the restroom then. Bus left on time at 2 pm and reached the bus station in Bergen around 4 pm. The ride was nice but a little repetitive. I was listening to my podcasts all the way and kind of got a bit sleepy also. I was expecting the bus to drop us off at the train station but we went to the bus station which is a litter farther from my hotel. So now I have to walk even more. I was prepared for the 12 min walk and now it is about 17. Well, that's okay. I managed the one mile walk. Thank God for the phone maps! It was a nice walk, it was sunny and so many people were out.

My room in Scandic Torget hotel is excellent. I am on the 6th floor and facing the historical UNESCO site. It is just awesome. I am feeling really good. 

First thing to do is to walk out to the visitor's center. It is cool outside, just perfect temperature and sunny! I bought the 48 hr Bergen card and tickets to the cable car and funicular and one fjord tour for Tuesday morning.  I am now set to enjoy my time. 

There are many tourists around. The Brygge area is very cool looking and I enjoyed my walk. Went through some tourists shops, all things are expensive. I don't need anything but I want to take some small thing...a magnet? hehe.

Bergen Brygge

Came back to the hotel at 6 pm, had a nice cup of tea. Left at 7 pm to enjoy the sunset and another round of walk. Went behind some buildings this time. Its all nice. Picked up some snacks at Rema1000 (grocery store) next door. I love these stores, they are small and with fewer choices. I should be set for the next 2-3 days. 


I will have to get some food for the cruise time as they don't have food included in the trip. Weird!! 

All in all good day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment